Friday, October 17, 2008

Thank You Ace, from Sebastian Night

Thank you, Ace.

It hasn't even been a month yet and the ECWA already feels far too empty for my tastes. It hasn't even been official yet, but somehow it already seems you have been gone too long. The locker room is a little quieter and I don't like it one bit. The ECWA just isn't the same without Ace Darling in it.

Just about 13 years ago, I walked into my first ECWA show as a fan and Ace Darling was there. Ace was flying higher than I thought possible, telling a grand story, sucking me in completely with his match. A few months later, as I became a part of the ECWA, a part of the ring crew whilst I trained at Wrestle Tech, Ace proved to be what I thought of him was true, Ace Darling is one heck of a nice guy. A class act who always had not just a handshake for the boys, but for everyone who worked on the show. When I became a part of the show, Ace taught me a lot. He taught me about storytelling, how to suck the crowd in and most importantly, a lesson I share today with the kids who come through, to be selfless with your knowledge and use it to get the next generation ready.

I have shared the spotlight with Ace Darling for 10 years and I was completely blessed to be able to do so. Ace is and always will be the definition of professional when I think of Professional Wresting. He arrived early, gave of himself completely in his match, holding nothing back and made sure that the fans got their money's worth.

Ace came to see me as an equal in the locker room, a fellow veteran who followed the old rules, but I will never be an equal to Ace Darling. Ace is the level I hold myself to in front of the curtain and behind and I still have a long road ahead of me before I can think I am an equal to Ace Darling in any way. I can only hope I'm able to leave a mark on the ECWA like Ace did when I finally walk away.

Ace, you are and always will be one of the greats. I thank you for everything you have taught me and I promise to try to do the ECWA justice like you have throughout your career. You will be missed and remember, if you miss it too much, just grab a mask and come have fun with us as El Darling.

-Sebastian Night

No comments: