Friday, April 18, 2008

Referee Matt Bennet on the May 10 show

My name is Matt Bennett and I am a referee for the ECWA. I have been asked by the blog moderator to give some thoughts on recent happenings at the Newark, DE, Boys & Girls Club.

As you know, on April 5th, two new champions were crowned. “The Beast” Glenn Osbourne defeated Mr. Scott Wright to win the Heavyweight Championship in a contest right up his alley, a Four-Corner Chain Match. Also, Ace Darling defeated JJ Cruz to win the Mid-Atlantic Championship, the belt that escaped him one month earlier.

By the end of the show on April 5th, the locker room was going crazy. Everyone wants to know who the better ECWA Icon is. Well we will find out on May 10th as they face each other one on one, icon vs. icon, championship vs. championship.

I have had a privilege of refereeing many matches involving these two ECWA Hall of Famers and I can say that neither man is in for a walk in the park when they meet on May 10th. Glenn is a mighty powerhouse that even a brick wall can’t hold back. Ace is a devious man who lately will do anything to win.

How about those Nigerian Nightmares? They sure have made quite the impact in their short time in the ECWA. With them standing proudly behind Prince Nana, the three of them are a force to be reckoned with. Already, they plowed though the former tag team champions The Heavyweights and hold a double pin-fall victory over the current tag team championship duo, The Logan Brothers.

I refereed the No-DQ Six Man Tag match on April 5th that saw Nana & The Nigerians defeat the Logans & Freak Nastty. I take pride in my refereeing and do my best to make sure rules are followed to ensure that we fairly have a winner and a loser in each match. However, in this match, quite the opposite happened. I had no power or control. Seeing Matt and Bryan Logan lying on the mat after the match really struck me hard. There was nothing I could do to avoid that from happening.

I helped tend to the Logans after the match. The whole time they reassured me that they will be ready for the Nigerian Nightmares on May 10th and will walk out still the ECWA Tag Team Champions.

Also, on my way to the ring for the last match on April 5th, I saw Freak Nastty laid out in the locker room on the big screen above the entranceway. I did not witness the attack and so far everyone is denying having anything to do with it. All I know for sure is that Nastty stuck his nose in so many other people’s business during that show that everyone had a problem with him by the end of the night. I think Nastty will learn real quick that he shouldn’t be so hands on with his running of the company.

In other events, this past weekend many members of the ECWA roster took part in the ECPW show at Suffern High School in Suffern, NY. Over 1,000 fans were in attendance and over $5,000 was raised to benefit the local football program and the Challenger Little League Program. I would like to thank everyone involved in the event working so hard to put on a great show. All involved are already looking forward to next year.

Well with that, I wrap up my first post here on the ECWA blog. I hope you enjoyed reading and I look forward to making additional posts down the line.

No comments: